Date: Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Tipoff Time: 11:00 a.m. (Doors open for fans at 10:00 a.m.; Game will run 1.5 - 2 hours)
Location: Charles E. Smith Center, 600 22nd Street NW, Washington, DC 20052
Metro Stop: Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro (Orange & Blue Lines; Arena is located 3 blocks away)
Tickets: FREE for all pre-registered schools/classes
Click here to register your class or school for Field Trip Day. More specific details are below.
Download your educational Field Trip Day Activity Packet
George Washington University is inviting all area elementary schools to visit our campus, nestled in the heart of our nation's capital, to learn about our nation's history and first president, while attending the GW women's basketball game versus Saint Joseph's on Wednesday, January 22, at 11:00 a.m. Teachers who pre-register their students to take a field trip to GW's Charles E. Smith Center on Field Trip Day will enjoy the following:
- Free Admission to the GW women's basketball game vs. Saint Joseph's
- Free pictures with George (GW's mascot)
- Free educational activity packets about George Washington and our founding fathers to be mailed to teachers the week before the game for students to complete and bring with them to the game
Since our Field Trip Day game is during lunchtime, we ask teachers to please encourage students to bring a bagged lunch with them to eat during the game. Also, please note that GW will not be able to provide bus service to and/or from the arena. School bus transportation should be organized by each school individually.
SCHOOL BUS TRANSPORTATION
- Please coordinate school bus transportation with the appropriate offices as GW will not be able to provide bus transportation.
- We recommend having a school bus drop off students from 10-10:45 a.m. for the 11:00 a.m. tipoff. Because of our location in the city, we encourage schools to have separate buses drop off and pick up students to avoid needing to park school buses in the city.
- Bus parking is available near our arena; however, these spaces are not owned by GWU and are acquired on a first-come first-served basis. Below are bus parking options near the Charles E. Smith Center:
- 1700 block, Virginia Avenue NW (south side, 5 spaces)
- 200-400 block, 15th Street NW (south side, eastbound, 2 spaces)
- 2400 block, K Street NW (south side, eastbound, 2 spaces)
- 2000 block, Pennsylvania Avenue NW (north side, 2 spaces)
- For additional information on bus parking in DC, please do the following:
- Go to www.godcgo.com
- Click the third tab on the site: "Get my group there"
- Click: "Motorcoach Operators" from the dropdown menu
- Click: "Parking" from the dropdown menu
STUDENT LUNCH OPTIONS
- Teachers should encourage students to bring bagged lunches on Field Trip Day
- In-arena food options will be available
STUDENT ACTIVITY PACKETS
- Teachers/principals who register their students by 12 p.m. on Wednesday, January 15, will be mailed an educational activity packet for each registered student.
- Activity packets will include educational puzzles about George Washington and history related to our founding fathers as well as additional GW mascot-related fun coloring activities to show in the stands at game.
- Students are encouraged to bring their completed activity packs to the game.
QUESTIONS? Please email email@example.com or call 202-994-8022.