About the First Ladies
The GW First Ladies Dance Team consists of 16 members with dance backgrounds in everything from hip-hop to classical ballet to traditional bhangra dance. The team performs at all Men's and Women's home basketball games, travels with the teams during March Madness, and participates in community and campus-wide events to promote school spirit. Tryouts are held twice a year (April and September) for incoming freshmen, transfer students, and all current GW students. The team practices at least three times a week, and performs mostly pom and jazz routines. For more information about the First Ladies Dance team, email Coach Kate Southall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in trying out? Fill out our interest form and we'll circle back with all you need to know!
Connect with us!Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Instagram
Watch our Youtube page
Tryouts for the 2017-2018 First Ladies Dance Team are a two day process and will be held on Saturday, April 22 and Sunday, April 23 from 10:00am-2:00pm in the Charles E Smith Center. Tryouts are open to all incoming freshmen, current GW Students, and transfer students in good academic standing.
All individuals trying out must provide the following documents:
- A copy of the front and back of your insurance card
- Doctor's note clearing you to participate in physical activity
You can pre-register for tryouts by filling out our online registration form.
Tryout Process and Schedule
Day 1: Saturday, April 22 10:00am-2:00pm
- Registration will begin 15 minutes before the scheduled tryout.
- Tryouts will consist of a brief warm up followed by short technique session
- Dancers will then learn two short routines: Jazz & Pom
Day 2: Sunday, April 23 10:00am-2:00pm
- Dancers will perform the jazz and pom routines learned on Day 1 in small groups in front of a panel of judges
- Dancers will also be asked to demonstrate the following skills:
- Double/triple pirouette
- Front or second leap
- Calypso or circle disc
- One "special skill" of your choice
The 2017-2018 team will be announced at the end of Day 2!
- Sports bra or bra top
- Tight fitting bottoms
- Jazz shoes or sneakers - No bare feet!
- Performance ready, game-day hair and make up
- No jewelry (except small stud earrings)
If you are interested in joining the team but are unable to attend tryouts in person, please email Coach Kate Southall at email@example.com for information about a video audition.